How the Online Electronic Invoice System works - FEL de Guatemala
Guatemala is on the verge of finalizing the migration to the new electronic invoicing system called Online Electronic Invoicing System - FEL defined by the Superintendence of Tax Administration - SAT.
From FACE to FEL
The electronic invoice in Guatemala is advancing in the direction of the model outlined in the SAT Board Agreement number 13-2018 and its revisions. It denotes a change from the FACE model, which was put into place in 2011, to the FEL model. On July 1, 2023, the FEL regime will officially become the only one permitted to provide tax documents to individuals who register for the first time to conduct an economic activity.
Since 2019, taxpayers have been gradually integrating into the new FEL system per the SAT's schedule or voluntarily if they so choose, without having to wait for the date on which their sector is included.
Since its start in 2007, the electronic invoicing model has experienced adjustments.Among the most significant changes from the prior FACE tax system should be noted are the following:
- The removal of the invoice copy entirely. In other words, the GFACE is no longer required to receive the invoice data.
- On the other hand, the electronic signature will be mandatory in electronic invoices, as a mechanism of authenticity and non-repudiation of the same.
- Thirdly, SAT is in charge of keeping all bills on file. The XML file must still be kept by issuers and receivers for the duration specified by the Tax Code despite this. The XML files of the certified DTEs and the corresponding acknowledgments of receipt from SAT must also be kept by the certifiers.
Electronic Tax Documents - DTE's
Electronic tax documents are, as the word indicates, documents that accredit a commercial transaction in electronic form.
Types of DTE’s:
- Exchange Invoice
- Small taxpayer exchange invoice
- Small taxpayer invoice
- Special invoice
- Credit note
- Donation receipt
- Debit memo
- Credit memo
Electronic tax documents must be issued in files structured in XML format. The Tax Authority in Guatemala (SAT) has informed all issuers that they must start working under the new validations of the FEL Version 1.7.4, by the approaching deadline of January 14, 2023.
Some of the new features included in the latest version are:
• Validations were added for the issuance of DTE with CF: Details of Governmental Agreement 245-2022 NIT of the Taxpayer. If a taxpayer does not have this, they should use the unique Identification Code (CUI) from their Personal Identification Document (DPI). The words “final consumer” or the acronym "CF" may only be included in documents that prove sales or services of less than Q. 2,500.00 quetzales; and in documents that prove the provision of basic services for the consumption of drinking water, electric energy, and telephony of less than Q.500.00.
• "For the issuance of CIVA, the establishment type code 1084 was added to the establishment classification code 887": New establishment type classification for the use of CIVA issuance.
• "The validation 2.5.2 Types of legal status for which VAT affiliation is optional in the following types of DTE is clarified, with respect to the legal status box": Types of legal status for which VAT affiliation is optional in the following types of DTE, catalog update.
• “In the validation 2.6.1, phrases (XSD: Phrase), the EXE affiliation, is added, in numeral 15": Type 8 phrase "ISR exempt phrases" and scenario code 4 "Income Exemptions" are included. of Lucrative Activities, non-profit entities”
• Number 11 (Recipient ID) of Validation 2.2.4 is replaced: Validation for the use of Foreign Recipient ID is eliminated.
Who must adhere to the FEL electronic invoicing system?
All taxpayers designated by SAT, taking into account the volume of invoices issued, level of gross income invoiced, economic linkage, registration in special regimes or other criteria, are obliged to do so. Currently, the taxpayers that must issue CPE through the FEL system are:
- Special Taxpayers
- Large Regional Taxpayers
- State Suppliers SAT Resolution 243-2019 (bidding, quotation, open contract, electronic reverse auction).
- State Suppliers SAT Resolution 838-2019 (individual professional services).
- Taxpayers that use the FACE Electronic Invoice.
Online Electronic Invoicing Regime – FEL
Invoices, credit and debit notes, receipts, and other permitted documents can all be issued, transmitted, certified, and preserved under the FEL Regime. The name of these files will be Electronic Tax Documents (DTE).
The taxation structure in the FEL is relatively comparable to that in other Latin American nations like Mexico or Peru.
This model states that before being reported to the SAT, tax records must be independently verified. In this situation, the trusted third party is referred to as a certification authority. Without SAT authorization, a company cannot serve as a DTE certification authority. Each year, this permission must be renewed.
Requirements to become an electronic biller in Guatemala
- To be affiliated to VAT.
- To have an active business.
- To have a Virtual Agency.
- To have updated data in the Unified Tax Registry (RTU).
- To have the address located.
- To have the authorization in the FEL as issuer.
- Comply with the technical regulations.
- Possess electronic signature.
- Be up to date with your tax returns.
- Have contracted a certifying entity to validate the DTE's.
How will the electronic invoice work in Guatemala?
- The issuers will generate a file that will be transformed into the file structured by the certifier.
- The certification authority verifies that the rules and validations in force in the FEL Regime were applied and applies the advanced electronic signature. It generates an Electronic Authorization Code that is associated with the document before sending it to the SAT.
- Each DTE must be sent to SAT and the issuer immediately.
- SAT performs the necessary validations to verify that the document complies with the rules and characteristics that guarantee authenticity, integrity, format, and legally established requirements.
- Whether it accepts or rejects the document, SAT issues an acknowledgment of receipt to the certification authority.
- The DTE will be delivered to the receiver either in XML format, by means of a graphic representation or in PDF format.
- The issuers and receivers must keep the files in XML format of the certified DTE for the time established in the Tax Code. The certifier, on the other hand, must keep the certified DTEs and the respective acknowledgments of receipt sent by SAT.
A single platform to manage global e-invoicing
Electronic invoicing has a series of legal and technical requirements that differ from one country to another. This fact means that processes must be adapted to each model of the country in which it is to operate.
There are technological solutions, such as EDICOM Global e-Invoicing Platform, capable of adapting to internal management systems and the requirements in force in each country. In this way, successful international e-invoicing projects can be achieved in compliance with legal and tax requirements in Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Colombia, or any other country.
These are the main advantages of EDICOM Global Platform:
- Automation. The solution integrates with the main ERPs in the market to automate the VAT declaration and any other tax communication.
- Centralization. It is a platform suitable for ﬁscal compliance in more than 60 countries around the world, so it is possible to centralize all procedures in a single solution.
- Internationalization. EDICOM Platform is not only ready for electronic VAT returns, but also for electronic invoicing and any other commercial or ﬁscal communication.
- Compliance. The platform complies with the speciﬁc technical and legal requirements of each country when sending information to the tax authority. By outsourcing and automating this process in a single platform, the client will gain ﬂexibility and agility and will have the guarantee that its information reaches the public body in question in the correct manner.
- Security and availability. The EDICOM platform has different certifications such as ISO 27001, ISO20000, ISAE 3402 or TIER II DESIGN. The commitment acquired by EDICOM with all its customers through these certifications is none other than to offer maximum security guarantees and maintain the SLA committed by the company, which establishes a minimum availability of the solution of 99.9%.