How does e-Invoicing in Bolivia work?
Bolivia is in the process of implementing e-Invoicing. The National Tax Service (Servicio de Impuestos Nacionales - SIN) published the Regulatory Resolution of the Board of Directors № 102100000011, which aims to regulate the e-Invoicing system in Bolivia. However, those companies that prefer to do so can get ahead of the massive implementation schedule and start using e-Invoicing voluntarily.
- Virtual Invoicing System
- The Virtual Invoicing System’s electronic invoice and its modalities
- Mandatory use of electronic invoicing for the fourth group of taxpayers as from April 1, 2023
- EDICOM authorized electronic invoice provider
- Electronic invoice types
- Electronic invoice formats by sector
- Homologation of products and services
- Requirements to issue electronic invoices in Bolivia
- Evolution of the electronic invoice in Bolivia
- Benefits of the new SFE Bolivia system
Virtual Invoicing System
Bolivia’s electronic invoicing system is called the Virtual Invoicing system, or SFV. The SIN has established three invoicing modalities that substitute the previous computerized invoicing models like the virtual office, the electronic web and the electronic by cycles.
The Virtual Invoicing System’s electronic invoice and its modalities
The Bolivian Virtual electronic invoicing system is mad up of different modalities, the SIN will assign modalities to each taxpayer.
Electronic Invoicing Online
The modality of the electronic invoice online is when electronic invoices are issued and digitally signed through a SIN authorized invoicing software.
Computerized Invoicing Online
The modality of the computerized electronic invoice online enables the issuance of invoices through an electronic invoicing software authorized by the SIN without a digital signature.
Web Portal Invoicing Online
The webportal modality of the invoice online is for small companies with a small invoicing volume. The process declares invoices manually through the webportal created by the SIN.
Mandatory use of electronic invoicing for the fourth group of taxpayers as from April 1, 2023
By means of Board Normative Resolution No. 102200000024, the fourth group of taxpayers that must adapt and implement their Computerized Invoicing Systems for the issuance of Digital Tax Documents through the Online Electronic Invoicing modality, Online Computerized Online or Online Web Portal is established based on the technical criteria established by the Tax Administration. As of April 1, 2023, these taxpayers must issue Digital Tax Documents through the assigned online invoicing modality.
EDICOM authorized electronic invoice provider
EDICOM's electronic invoicing platform is certified by the Bolivian tax authority (SIN). Companies can exchange electronic invoices through EDICOM’s platform in different modalities like the electronic invoice online. Companies can issue and sign electronic invoices in the format required by the SIN in a fully integrated and automated manner.
Once the invoices have been validated by the SIN they are sent to recipients in a previously accorded format. The service integrates the validations issued by the SIN keeping you informed about your invoice’s status. The same system also enables the reception and integration of your electronic invoices.
Electronic invoice types
The Virtual Electronic Invoice system enables the exchange of the following e-invoice types:
- Invoices with tax credits are invoices that are eligible to receive tax credits for the buyers and tax debits for the seller.
- Invoices without tax credits are invoices that do not generate tax credits for buyer, nor tax debits for the seller.
- Correction Document. The credit -debit note is the only correction document used for the adjustment of tax debits or credits when a complete or partial return or repeal of a contract occurs.
Electronic invoice formats by sector
The virtual invoicing system contemplates 27 types of invoices based on the service provided and the sector where the service is provided. All invoices are in XML formats.
- Factura compra y venta (purchase and sale invoice)
- Recibo de alquiler bienes inmuebles (rental reciept for real estate property)
- Factura comercial de exportación (commercial export invoice)
- Factura comercial de exportación libre consignación (commercial export invoice free consignment)
- Factura de venta en zona franca (sales invoice in free zone)
- Factura de servicios turísticas y hospedaje (tourism and lodging service invoice)
- Factura de seguridad alimentaria y abastecimiento (invoice for food security and catering)
- Factura tasa cero (Zero rate invoice)
- Factura compra venta moneda extranjera (Foreign currency purchase invoice)
- Factura Duty free (duty free invoice)
- Factura sector educativo (education sector invoice)
- Factura comercialización hidrocarburos (commercialization of hydrocarbons invoice)
- Factura servicios básicos (basic service invoice)
- Factura alcanzada ice (Invoices affected by ICE tax)
- Factura entidades financieras (financial entity tax)
- Factura hoteles (hotel tax)
- Factura hospitales clínicas (clinic and hospital invoice)
- Facturas juegos de azar (gambling invoice)
- Factura de hidrocarburos (hydrocarbon invoice)
- Factura venta interna de minerales (internal mineral sales invoice)
- Factura comercial exportación de minerales (mineral export sales invoice)
- Factura telecomunicaciones (Telecommunication invoice)
- Factura prevalorada (prevalued invoice)
- Nota de crédito – Debito (credit-debit note)
- Factura productos nacionales (national producto invoice)
- Factura productos nacionales alcanzados por el ICE (national products affected by ICE tax invoice)
- Factura SIETE-RG (Siete-RG invoice)
Homologation of products and services
Invoices must include an identification code for the products and services included based on the list provided by the tax authority, similar to the Cabys catalogue in Costa Rica. In case the products sold are not in the SIN list, a homologation process must take place.
Requirements to issue electronic invoices in Bolivia
- Electronic invoice certificate (Electronic invoice online modality).
- Credentials authorized by the tax authority (SNI) for computerized and web portal online invoices.
- IT system authorized by the tax authority.
Evolution of the electronic invoice in Bolivia
The electronic invoice in Bolivia has had an irregular evolution throughout the years. There have been many attempts by the SIN to implement the invoice generally since 2007. The last attempt was in 2019 with the launch of the SFE e-invoicing system which after a year’s postponement was supposed to launch in 2021 in phases. However, due to the economic crisis worsened by the pandemic, the SIN published a repeal of the new e-invoicing model in resolution Nº102000000011, only to renew the project two months later through a new norm N°102000000017. the new modalities of the electronic invoice within the Virtual Electronic Invoice system are detailed in that norm.
- 2007 the RND 10-0016-07, which regulated the new invoicing system also known as NSF-07.
- 2010 establishes the virtual office for passive subjects and responsible third parties.
- 2013 implementation of the Virtual Invoicing System (SFV).
- 2016 renovation of the Virtual Invoicing System through the Resolution Norm or Directorate N°10-0021-16.
- 2018 approval of the implementation of the Electronic invoicing system through RND Nº101800000026.
- 2019 postponement of the implementation of the SFE through Resolution Norm of Directorate Nº 101900000003 para 2020.
- 2020 May – suspension of the new SFE through resolution N°102000000011.
- 2020 July – publication of Resolution N°102000000017 about the new modalities of the invoice online.
- 2021 December - The first group of electronic invoice issuers must comply.
- August 2022 - The second group of e-Invoicers adheres.
Benefits of the new SFE Bolivia system
- Automatic generation of the purchase and sales registry, for both computerized and web portal modalities.
- Automatic generation suggested from the VAT and IT forms.
- Automatic suggested generation of Form 110 for workers in the private and public sector as well as for contractors and online consultants.
- Cost reduction thanks to time and paper savings.
- Simple tax compliance.
- Process optimization, as it is a completely automated process human error is reduced significantly.